Saturday, 4 July 2015

Hi Everyone...!!!

Building Teaching Skills through the Interactive web" has really opened new channels of information; I did not know previously, nor could I know perhaps otherwise. Learning these skills gives a feel of modern teaching in this technology world. It is just second week that I have come to know many new ideas and teaching tools.

Nicenet, ICA, blogs, Blackboard..... This all facilitate, the paper free, hassle free learning. These provide an open forum for all the participants to share their understanding of the topic with diverse opinions and expressions. Besides multiple advantages, it adds to the ease, saving the hassle to type and print, present in a costly folder, rushing to the campus just to submit assignments in time, moreover only subject to the availability of the instructor. A student can use it effectively, just sitting on the computer, can devote travelling time to studies instead of getting struck into traffic, and or waiting for the instructor to be free, outside the office.

Ongoing trainings in teaching career, whereas facilitate promotions, these trainings provide with latest methodology, technology tools, and concepts suited to the level and capability of the learners. Same is with this course. Sometimes in career we learn for our learners. The trainee teacher finds the methods and tools more effective that are useful for his/her learners.


Concentrating over these skills, so far learnt across two weeks, I most of the times think of applying in my own class. Most of the skills are highly useful, moreover, these will add to the motivation of my students. But at this stage question rises that I was given the key to a readymade programme, with clear guidance, and a staff highly technology competent. I don't know either I will ever be able to handle it properly, individually. Furthermore, it demands a lot of time, the participants in this course  are approximately twenty,  but we here in Pakistan face large classes, reading all the responses, say of 70- 90 on average, and add responses to all ,  surely need to be strategized, to enable learners  avail the effectiveness  of these tools.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Ali,
    They say it takes a village to raise a child but in Pakistan actually it takes one teacher to teach a village or in this case a class of 70-90 students. Kudos! The largest class I had to teach was a class with 45 students. I remember that it was a huge challenge and I had to do it without use of any technology but a cassette player.
    I agree that using new tools and technology in class will motivate the students and presumably make the classes more effective. Thanks to using the right web tools or mobile apps students will be able to do more studying and lots of revision outside of their classroom, which for large classes is a must.
    One activity that might work is circular writing of a story that could be done through setting up a group on some of the social networks or apps (Facebook,Viber, Whatsapp etc.) where the teacher gives the first sentence i.e. instant message and then individual students or groups of students send one text message at a time until the story is completed. Anyway, I hope this was clear and helpful.
    Best of luck,
    Maja Mihajloska
    Macedonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hello ALi!

    Large classes are also common in Cameroon. I like the fact that you always go beyond tradition to engage your learners. We must behave as you do if pedagogy has to keep abreast with ever-changing technologies. As you said, we are really learning in this course for our learners.

    Nsah Mala
    Cameroon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali,

    Fantastic ideas! The only concern, though, is that in some countries like mine, access to the Internet is a nightmare. Connectivity is VERY slow and sometimes non-existent to the point that your plans can be thwarted. Otherwise, there is nothing like using technology in class.

    Personally, I work at the American language center where high-tech is used in class. Teachers use smartboards with advanced software in teaching. Using such tools have motivated our students in their studies of the English language. Using technology in class with the latest approaches makes learning home to the students. One thing that needs to be done, however, is training teachers to use these latest tools. To the present, a good number of teachers (veterans) over here find using NTIC difficult. Luckily, we are some of those lucky teachers to get the training, why not share it with our colleagues?

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali,

    You sure are a teacher warrior! Your post only makes me more confident that we have to succeed on our journey towards a technologically friendly environment, together, supporting each other with ideas and facing all the problems you mentioned like large classes or little time on the teachers' hands.
    You're great!

    Diana,
    Romania

    ReplyDelete