Sunday, 12 July 2015

Recollections from the Week Three

Dear Virtual Friends!

Happy Week three learning!

It has been mainly found in my own context and the context of second and foreign language contexts, that in the pronunciation class, the teacher has been observed following the stress, intonation, and rhythm patterns, or even tutoring the pronunciation of segmental and supra-segmental pronunciation. But the case is quite contrary in rest of the classes.
The research of Moyer (2007) and that of Shively (2008) in the context of Spanish is also quite relevant and very much valid. The major factors pointed out for native like accent has been pointed out as "exposure to the language, amount of formal instruction in Spanish, residence in a Spanish speaking country, amount of out-of-class contact with Spanish, and focus on pronunciation in class". The lesson plans attached in the week three, include interesting and workable activities supported with latest technology, however, I think better and more modern tools like Skype and video calling on Facebook should have been introduced, which I think more useful to improve accent. Besides, while interacting with some native speakers, or listening to BBC and CNN or some clips of videos, I hardly have found the accent (stress, intonation, or rhythm) as impeding my intelligibility, but what I found confusing and embarrassing were the idiom and colloquial words.
Another aspect of teaching pronunciation needs to be emphasized that in EFL contexts, here Pakistani context, where English is taught as the knowledge of language instead of practical communication. The emphasis has been over reading, and writing as highly useful skills, instead of speaking and listening. Hence, pronunciation is taught just for the sake of knowing the accurate pronunciation and to have a pronunciation competence, instead of pragmatic application.
CA (Contrastive Analysis) Hypothesis is one other important strategy. The stress timed and syllable timed difference of languages have different pronunciation differences in vowel and consonant stress and intonation, will be an exclusive strategy and hence the appropriate lesson planning is required. In this regard the check list given in the pdf attachment of week three is highly recommended. While the last item that is "Nuclear (tonic) stress" is a must to teach in my context particularly. For this the lead exercises are better ones.


 The story of the discovery of an other tool: Delicious. It is almost all delicious about it. Admittedly, I could not succeed in my early attempts at accomplishing my own delicious account, perhaps because of the difference of browsers. The browser used in the guidelines was perhaps Mozilla Firefox, while I am using chrome, hence the misunderstanding and consequent delay. All my efforts stopped at the stage seven. I could not make out what does it mean dragging it to the bar.  Eventually I rise above the hindrances. I have a delicious account, here it is.  The concept of delicious is impressive and useful, new one for me at least. Believe me prior to this I used to write useful pages on a word page, and it often was lost with passage of time.  Delicious is a delicious tool as it is user-friendly, it adds to convenience, convenient to add a website so far visited and share with the concerned, besides checking it online, anywhere, whenever. Rightly held that the fund of knowledge multiplies by sharing, delicious is the tool that shares the knowledge in a real way. I can share, while watching the webs others use and recommend.

very sincerely yours,

Ali 
Pakistan

No comments:

Post a Comment