Friday, 28 August 2015

Though it hurts to bid good bye, we the teachers are duty bound to bid, willingly or unwillingly. We have wounded fingers, but happy hearts, wounded for we worked and happy for we have ultimately accomplished. At the beginning, that seemed almost impossible, our determination and persistence has
made possible now. Thanks to everybody, every contribution, clue, criticism, taunt, encouragement that made us kiss the destination, eventually.
The learning starts, so far I remember, with the very first task Google map, and the first task on Nicenet, introduction with the quotation, only if I don't forget. It too is worthwhile to share this was the first ever online course that I did. It too appeased my curiosity, how do they manage online stuff? Once the intimation started there started a healthy succession of tech tool building tasks, a variety of highly selected articles that indeed made a worthwhile reading. Week-wise I have preserved all the content so far shared, to review at appropriate time and need. Almost all the responses in Nicenet, I have copied, some of which I could respond, and some didn't. The first most useful concept and tool for me was building blog. This encouraged me the most and I sensed how important and useful this course may be for me and my learners later. The tools that were taught to us I think all are important but the most important are according their effectiveness, particularly in my context.
I built my own blog, and wonderfully it provided me a forum to share my thoughts to a specific readership, comment and receive the feedback. This hopefully I will apply in my teaching while making it a blended teaching class, physical and online. The other important tools include Nicenet, delicious, and padlet.
 Innovative teaching practices like blended teaching require different testing too. Thus the course provided alternative testing tools, like webQuests and different webs and testing tools to help design tests required for transformed pedagogy and tasks.
I am thinking of utilizing this course experience and knowledge as a topic of research for my MS thesis, which might read like: Blended teaching an effective alternative/addition to ELT and the role of latest tech tools to enhance learning and the motivation level of undergraduate students of Functional English teaching: A Pakistani participant's overview.
As an effective teacher, one needs to keep a breast with innovation, as a pre-requisite for survival before the tech-suave generation of today's learners. Trainings and workshops, physical or online need to be offered to ELTs, for which the grants be provided to deserving and motivated teachers. I would highly recommend this course to the ELTs in my country, particularly those teaching at tertiary level.
I can't finish the last post of the course, without expressing my heartfelt gratitude to my course instructor Dr. Donna Shaw from Centre of English, University of Oregon, for her consistent and each mentoring and matchless encouragement. I am equally thankful to all my course fellows for their peer reviews and timely guidance. We have, though taken some steps to keep in contact after the course; I personally cherish a deep held desire to continue for professional support when required, even after the course is over.
Best of luck, all the best wishes and Good bye!
Most sincerely and gratefully yours
Ali

Pakistan

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ali,

    It was completely delightful working with you this term. You did a fabulous job in our course! I wish you the very, very best in all you do. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are.

    Warmest wishes,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali,
    Thank you so much for being an active, insightful colleague! Please don't be a stranger!

    Diana
    Romania

    ReplyDelete